Saturday, October 9, 2010

The first victim - October 9, 2010

Two posts one day!  It’s just catch up for not having anything for the last five.

I have worked out a few possible logistic items in the last couple of days. 

The first one concerns Trisha.   I had hoped to include her in the crew as she has so many strengths and such fantastic communication skills that she would be able to make decisions and get a team moving in the right direction if they should falter.  Sort of like a back up to the crew chief.  She is also an excellent navigator and I would prefer her as a masseur over anyone else (personal space issues).  In the end even with the huge benefit she would be as part of the on-road team I don’t think it would be fair to her and may be detrimental to me and completing the race.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that she would pursue my dream with me on the road as far as she could, but I don’t think it would be far enough no matter how hard she tried and I don’t want to have her hurt by seeing me do it.  Having her at the finish to celebrate with me when I cross the line will be the moment I want her to be part of; not the personal torture getting there.

I could change my mind on this, but even knowing how strong I am (and multiplying that) and ready to let Trisha pursue her dreams regardless of the cost to her, I don’t think I would be able to see her put herself through something similar without trying to stop her and I don’t think she would want me to be in that much emotional anguish over her actions; so I won’t do it to her.  We are too close, too in touch with each other and really what one of us experiences, we both do.  Knowing that I need to finish the race in order to have her with me at the finish line will also work as an amazing incentive.

As to the rest of my family, I haven’t ruled out Sean as a possible driver/co-driver; he will be old enough by then and this would be a huge adventure for a 17 year old.  My in-laws may also choose to participate and they have a huge range of skills including possible mechanic and crew chief material as well as cook and gopher.  There are lots of possibilities there and with others people in the future.

I have currently a great possible victim for a medic/driver.  In a conversation with a friend/co-worker who asked me “what next?”, I discussed my plans for RAAM.  Corey immediately offered to take up the position of medic (he has similar training to an EMT) and also to drive.  WOW!  One down.  That is if he is still on the crazy side of normal in eight years.

People are going to be a hurdle (one of many, but a big one) for me.  I am not social and tend to have issues asking for help, but if I can ride across the country I’m pretty sure that I can overcome that as well.  At least for this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that by the time you need to have a crew committed, we will have been through enough endurance races to make an educated decision on this for ourselves. I want to be there but I don't want to pussy out on your behalf by calling it quits for you when you are in misery. Ugh. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete