Monday, September 27, 2010

The first time - September 27, 2010

If you know me, then you know that I am a private person and less then eloquent when it comes to writing.  Trisha far outstrips me in this regard but my thoughts are bicycle thoughts and need to be told my way.  So in a way a blog may seem counter-intuitive and in another is a personal journey towards a major life goal.

Welcome to the premier post.  I am hoping this will make my Facebook a little less cycle focused.  There are several reasons for my bicycle thoughts.  First to keep track of what I have done, so that I can look back and see all the steps that it took to reach my accomplishment.  Second, I will use it to help me define the journey going forward; to set and meet goals.  Third, it will help me plan and grow as a cyclist and provide the basis of the story of my (our) undertaking of RAAM.

The primary focus will be on preparing for the Race Across America, but it will include general things that are cycling involved and other events as I see fit.  I tinker with bicycles and ride a number of different ones always looking to add to my collection.  I am not a racer or commuter or casual rider or hipster or mechanic; I am all of them in my own way.

Of course I can’t do this without my family.  This will be an eight year journey for them too.  Time when they will be in direct support or emotional support of me; without them this is not something that I could do.  The key is Trisha.  Everything from making this blog more functional to giving me time on the bike to being inundated with “bike” talk to probably being the only reader of my ramblings.  She will be the thing that keeps me pedaling when all I want to do is quit.  She is my inspiration for life.

I hope to have updates at least once a week; initially more, as I try and empty all my thoughts and feelings here over the next couple of months.  Not really a cleansing (I don’t tend to need that), but more something to look back on and see the excitement and heaps of naivety at this point.  I am not a visual person, but will try to include pictures and links when possible.

I’m glad to be started and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. You know I love you. You made me blush. The RAAM IS a crazy goal but it's not a crazy dream. You can do this. And you know I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete